Get On Board!
Which of the following can cause poisoning in young children?
1) Cosmetics and beauty products
2) Cleaning products
3) Household plants
4) Over the counter drugs
5) All of the above.
Click here for the answer
Six Tips for
First-Time Life Insurance Buyers
If you're looking to buy life insurance for the first time, you're probably asking yourself questions such as "How much do I need?", "What kind of policy is best?" and "Which company should I buy from?" There's no question buying life insurance for the first time, like any other new experience, can be more than a bit daunting. Click here for six important tips from New York Life Insurance to make the process smoother, eliminating frustrating false starts and unnecessary bumps in the road.
Click here for the full story.
From all of us at Safety 1st, we wish you a Happy Valentine’s Day full of love for your little ones. In this month’s issue you’ll read about tips for staying warm in the winter, fun Valentine’s Day activities that you and your children can enjoy together, and our hot new products – the Smart Rewards Potty and the Funtime Froggy Bath Center!
Every year in the United States, more than 180 million Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged. So why is this day so important to so many people? It’s a day of love, and for showing those you love that you’re appreciative of them. Tell your little ones you care in unexpected ways this month.
- Check the expiration date on your fire extinguishers and replace if needed.
- Walk through your home searching for unprotected outlets and dangling cords.
Remembering to do these quick spot checks, in addition to your usual babyproofing, will provide a more secure home for you and your family – showing your love year round. For more home safety tips visit getonboardwithsafety.com.
Congratulations to our Winners!
Five lucky readers will receive our new Safety 1st Warm Me Shower & Bath, featured last month in American Baby magazine .
- Heather Lanier -
- Heather Bennett -
- Tiffany Gaar -
- Ruth Farrell -
Poughkeepsie, New York
- Dianne Jackson -
East St.Louis, IL
Read on to find out how you can win one of five Safety 1st Smart Rewards Potties.
Tips for a Warm Winter
Baby it’s cold outside! With the winter weather finally touching down it’s a good time to remember how to bundle up your children to prevent frostbite and hypothermia. A good rule of thumb is to dress your child in one more layer of clothing than an adult would wear in the same conditions. Several thin layers will keep your children warm and dry.
Valentine’s Day Activities
Unique ways to bring cupid into your home this month:
- Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut heart-shaped bread for your children’s sandwiches, morning toast, or French toast.
- Write a special note to your child and put it in their lunchbox, or the bathroom mirror or under their pillow where they will be surprised to find it.
- Add a few drops of red food coloring to your child’s favorite food or drink to celebrate the holiday.
- When your child makes Valentines this year for family and friends, have them send one to someone who may not expect it – a teacher or relative living far away.
- Take comfort knowing that the Safety 1st Cabinet Flex-Lock makes a heart shape around your cabinet handles – proving your love again and again.
Hot New Products
PRINT THIS ARTICLE
Check out some of our hot new products for your little one!
Smart Rewards Potty
Make potty training fun and rewarding with the Safety 1st Smart Rewards Potty. It teaches your child the four basic milestones of potty training:
- Sitting on the potty
- Going potty
- Flushing the potty
- Earning a reward
Smart Rewards uses special sensors to track your child’s progress. Encouraging phrases play when each milestone is completed, and it rewards your child with fun songs, lights, and stickers. A removable trainer seat fits an adult toilet, and the bowl is removable for easy cleaning.
Click here for more product information.
Available at Kmart or online at www.kmart.com
Got a Great Potty Training Tip
Email us at: email@example.com to share your tried and true potty training tip. We’ll share some of the great tips we receive with our readers next month!
Click here for a chance to win one of 5 Smart Rewards Potties.
Funtime Froggy Bath Center
Everything you need for bathing your little one is right here! Our Safety 1st Funtime Froggy Bath Center has a soft sling and frame that supports your baby and a padded terry cloth headrest to comfort your baby during bathtime. It even comes with a rinse pitcher for easy rinsing and a built-in temperature strip so you can make sure that your baby’s bathwater is not
Click here for more product information.
Available at Wal-Mart or online at www.walmart.com
Spotlight on Brett!
This month we chatted with Safety 1st Senior Product Manager, Kristin Potts, about what it’s like raising her 2 ½ year old daughter, Brett. Brett is quite the little jetsetter and has visited over 10 countries and several U.S. states already! This winter, Kristin took her to visit family in Colorado where Brett tried skiing (although she much prefers ice skating on Frog Pond in Boston.) Her next big trip is to the Carnaval de Quebec (that’s French for Quebec Carnival) where she’ll see snow sculptures, ride on a horse-drawn sleigh, take a snow bath, and do more ice skating! For Valentine’s Day, Kristin plans on making Brett’s favorite – smiley pancakes – which are pancakes with chocolate chips. Brett can also now use a fork and spoon to feed herself, which makes Kristin’s life much easier! Brett’s also quite the talker – she loves singing so much (especially when she’s dressed up like a princess) – that Kristin thinks she’s got a good shot at becoming an opera singer one day. The biggest (and most challenging) milestone Brett is currently undertaking is potty training. Although she knows to go to the bathroom when it’s time to go, she hasn’t quite mastered the use of the potty, so we’ve given Brett a Smart Rewards Potty to help guide her along. We wish Brett and Kristin good luck in this challenge and remind them to stay positive!
Valentine’s Day Treats
PRINT THIS ARTICLE
Cupid’s Cherry Cupcakes
Line 2 cupcake pans with Valentine’s Day themed cupcake liners (makes approx. 24 cupcakes) or grease and coat with flour two 9” heart shaped cake pans.
- 2 ¼ c flour
- 3 ¼ t baking powder
- 1 t salt
- 1 ½ c granulated sugar
- ½ c shortening
- 1 c milk
- 1 ½ t vanilla
- 1 t almond extract
- 4 egg whites (unbeaten)
- 2 T finely chopped maraschino cherries
- ¾ c chopped walnuts
- Measure flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into sifter.
- Place shortening in mixing bowl.
- Stir just to soften.
- Sift in dry ingredients.
- Combine milk, vanilla, and almond extract.
- Add ¾ cup of milk mixture to dry ingredients.
- Mix until dry ingredients are dampened.
- Beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add egg whites and remaining milk.
- Beat 1 minute.
- Stir in cherries and nuts.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way, or divide batter in half and fill each 9” heart-shaped cake pan.
Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes, test center with toothpick. For cupcakes remove from pan immediately and let cool on baking rack. For cakes, cool in pans 5-10 minutes and gently unmold to cool on rack.
- 4 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1 T margarine or butter
- 1 t almond extract
- 4 c. confectioner’s sugar
- 2-4 T Milk
- Mix together.
- Add confectioner’s sugar.
- Add milk by the tablespoon until spreading consistency. Beat as you go.
Sprinkle frosted cupcakes or cakes with fun heart-shaped decorations for a real Valentine’s Day treat!
Make Friendship Pretzels
One way of helping your children show their appreciation of their friends is to make them a friendship pretzel!
- 1 c warm water
- 2 T sugar
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 4 c flour
- Place sugar in bowl and add warm water. Stir until dissolved.
- Add yeast. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Stir in flour gradually until dough is thick enough to knead.
- Knead for 3-4 minutes.
- Grease the bowl. Shape the dough into a ball and put in bowl. Cover with a dish towel and keep in warm place for 1 hour, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch dough down and roll with rolling pin.
- Cut into strips and make heart shapes!
- Put your shapes on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Beat the egg and coat the top of each pretzel with it. Sprinkle on salt if you like.
Bake at 400° F for 12 minutes.
If you have any questions regarding Safety 1st
products please contact Dorel Juvenile Group Consumer Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org
Missed the last issue? Check out the Safety 1st and Foremost archive