Monitor Cord Safety Information
As a member of the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA), we are committed to providing information and education about its campaign for monitor cord safety in partnership with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. Please click on the button below to go to www.babymonitorsafety.org and see the recently launched Public Service Announcement on this important issue.
Since 2004, there have been seven deaths associated with monitor cord strangulations as a result of baby monitors being placed in or near the crib. To help you provide your child with a safe environment in your home and keep all cords out of their reach, we have provided you with information below to assist you.
- Children can strangle in baby monitor cords
- Check the location of all corded monitors, including those mounted on the wall, to make sure cords are out of your child’s reach.
- Place cords at least six feet away from any part of the crib, bassinet, play yard, or other safe sleep environment. If this is not possible, keep monitors out of baby's reach.
- Be aware what is a safe distance today may change as the baby grows.
- For movement monitors make sure the sensor cords are taut and not dangling to reduce strangulation hazards.
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions as to how to handle these cords.
- Do not place beds, cribs, play yards, and other furniture close to window blind cords.
- CPSC recommends the use of cordless window coverings in all homes where children live or visit.
- Inspect your home to ensure children do not have access to other products with cords such as decorations with ribbons or streamers, outerwear/jackets with drawstrings, and window coverings.
- Do not tie pacifiers or other children’s products with string around a child’s neck.
- The most at risk group of children are ages 0-3.
To obtain a Cord Safety Information Packet free of charge that includes a warning label and installation instructions for your Safety 1st monitor:Visit http://safetynotice.djgusa.com/monitor/inspection.php, email email@example.com, or call 866-762-3036.
For more information about cord safety, click the buttons below:
Dorel Juvenile Group has been a leader in providing child proofing products to our consumers for many years as we recognize the importance of keeping our children safe. If you are in need of a child proofing product such as a plug protector, cabinet latch and cord management products you may visit our website at safety1st.djgusa.com or contact our Consumer Relations Team of experts at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may call (800) 544-1108, Monday through Thursday 8AM to 6PM; Friday 8AM to 4:30PM to speak to a product specialist.