10/11/2010 12:00:00 AM
Dorel Juvenile Group Offers Groundbreaking Side Impact Technology to Children of All Ages
FOXBORO, Mass. and MONTREAL, Oct. 11, 2010 -- Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc., a division of Dorel Industries (TSX: DII.B, DII.A), and the nation's largest juvenile products manufacturer, today announces a complete line of Safety 1st car seats with Air Protect® Side Impact Technology, the most innovative and groundbreaking safety feature ever offered in a car seat. Air Protect® Technology is now available in infant, convertible and booster car seats, accommodating children of all ages and parents on all budgets.
Developed in conjunction with Kettering University's renowned Crash Safety Center, Air Protect® is designed to protect children in side impact collisions, putting a state-of-the-art layer of air protection where it is needed most, around the child's head. Side impact crashes have dramatically increased over the past two decades and are today among the deadliest kind of crashes for children. The vast majority of these fatalities are due to head trauma, according to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
"Our commitment to safety innovation is clearly demonstrated with the official opening of the Dorel Technical Center for Child Safety at our car seat manufacturing facility in Columbus, Indiana," said Dorel Juvenile Group President and CEO, Dave Taylor. "This multi-million dollar state-of-the-art facility is the most advanced of its kind in our industry."
How Air Protect® Works
Through the precise release of air, Air Protect® compresses and shields children from side impact intrusion and immediately reduces crash forces where the child is most vulnerable – the head. Air Protect® does this by extending ride-down, the amount of time it takes to slow a child's movement in a crash. By extending ride-down time, Air Protect® creates a slower, softer landing.
Car Seats Available with Air Protect® Technology
Dorel Juvenile Group has rolled out the Air Protect® Technology in a variety of car seats – covering all child weight and height requirements for child restraint systems. Also, special edition and standard varieties are available, accommodating all families' budgets. The complete line of Air Protect® car seats includes:
- onBoard™ 35 Air Infant Car Seat: This seat brings superior protection to infants from a tiny four to a full 35 pounds. Plus, with 17 percent more leg room than the majority of infant car seats, parents enjoy extended use. The onBoard™ 35 Air is also part of the Safety 1st AeroLite Travel System, combining the ultimate in safety, convenience and style.
- Complete Air™ 65 Convertible Car Seat: The Complete Air™ 65 keeps children well protected through two separate stages: from 5-40 pounds as a rear-facing infant car seat and from 22-65 pounds as a forward-facing toddler car seat. The QuickFit™ Harness System adjusts harness height in one easy step without uninstalling from the car.
- onSide air™ Convertible Car Seat: With the onSide air™, the ultimate in child safety is also affordable. Children can ride rear-facing up to 40 pounds, keeping them as safe as possible. The onSide air™ also features four harness heights and three buckle locations.
- Rumi™ Air and Essential™ Air Harnessed Booster Car Seat: The next generation in car seat safety, the Rumi™ Air and Essential™ Air feature a new state-of-the-art energy management design which uses an internal truss system to absorb the forces in the event of a motor vehicle accident. Rumi™ Air and Essential™ Air can be used with a harness for children 22 to 65 pounds and then convert to a belt-positioning booster for children 40 to 100 pounds. Plus, the twelve-position headrest adjusts with one hand to cover a child during every stage of growth.
- Boost Air Protect® Booster Car Seat: As a belt-positioning booster, the Boost Air Protect® accommodates children from 30 to 100 pounds. It also converts to backless booster – ensuring children are kept safe as they grow.
"The development of Air Protect® is a recent example of our unwavering commitment to safety innovation," comments Taylor. "We are proud to roll out this industry-leading technology in a variety of car seats, making it available to all parents riding with children."
For more information on Air Protect®, visit booth &611 at the ABC Expo in Las Vegas, NV or go to www.safety1st.com/airprotect.
About Dorel Juvenile Group
Dorel Juvenile Group USA is a division of Dorel Industries Inc. (TSX: DII.B, DII.A), a world class juvenile products and bicycle company. Established in 1962, Dorel creates style and excitement in equal measure to safety, quality and value. The Company's lifestyle leadership position is pronounced in both its Juvenile and Bicycle categories with an array of trend-setting products. Dorel's powerfully branded products include Safety 1st, Quinny, Cosco, Maxi-Cosi and Bebe Confort in Juvenile, as well as Cannondale, Schwinn, GT, Mongoose, Iron Horse and SUGOI in Recreational/Leisure. Dorel's Home Furnishings segment markets a wide assortment of furniture products, both domestically produced and imported. Dorel is a US$2 billion company with 4500 employees, facilities in nineteen countries, and sales worldwide.
The information on this page was accurate at the time of posting.